About Me

My photo
I am a teacher, coach, drama geek, creative thinker, writer, book worm and a realist. I love thinking outside the box professionally and personally because I believe there is never a single way of looking at any situation. I look forward to new opportunities for learning everyday... and to taking long walks around town with my husband and two terriers.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The New World of Annotating: "Annotexting"

We read a great article(Digigogy: ANNOTEXTING) in our recent teacher meeting about bringing the powerful skills of annotating into the world of our students.  In the past we have taught our students how to annotate by taking notes in the margins of their readings, asking questions, underlining important vocabulary and key words and so on.  But do our students take those skills and transfer them to the real world?

Often times I am afraid the answer is no.  It becomes another assignment handed out by the dreaded English teacher and while our students understand and complete the assignment well during class, the purpose becomes lost.   I am interested in exploring this idea of bringing the skill of annotating to the internet and allowing students to collaborate and provide feedback to one another.  The internet is an increasing part of our everyday lives and it makes sense to teach this skill here and allow it to be another great tool.

Has anyone else tried this strategy or read the article?  I am curious to see who else is doing this and what they have found successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment